Keeping your child happy and safe online during COVID-19
We know that whilst we are closed, parents and carers are having to help their children learn through technology. This can feel overwhelming so here are some top tips and useful links for keeping your child safe online.
1. Explore together. Ask your child to show you their favourite websites and apps and what they do on them. Listen, show interest and ask them to teach you!
2. Talk, talk and more talk! Ask them what to do to stay safe online. Ask if anything ever worries them while they’re online. Make sure they know that if they ever feel worried, they can get help by talking to you or another adult they trust.
3. Tell an adult. Help your child identify trusted adults who can help them if they are worried.
4. Don’t judge! Explain that you would never blame them for anything that might happen online, and you will always give them calm, loving support.
5. Supervise their online activity. Keep the devices your child uses in communal areas of the house such as in the living room or kitchen where an adult can supervise.
6. Parental controls. Use the parental controls available on your home broadband and all internet devices in your home.
7. Take responsibility for actions. If your child is engaging with others online, remind them to consider how someone else might feel before they post or share something. If they are considering sharing a photo/video of somebody else, they should always ask permission first.
Here is a link to some online safety activities you could do with your child: